(Expired) Costco - The Secret of Return Policy

waverider said:
Does costco have good plasma TVs?? If there policy is so good then it might be wise to buy from them. Wonder if your required to save the box to make a return. Also what if they no longer carry that item will you still get exactly what you paid back?

Costco does not have anything "good". It depends on what you're looking for. For an average person, all electronics/computers are great. However, if you're an audio/vidiophile, you will not find very high end items there.

Now, yes, you CAN return an item even if it's not carried there anymore.

It's probably not a bad idea to buy a plasma TV there so that when it burns out in 5 years, you could return it there (even if by that time this technology would be history) - but I would NOT recommend it ( ;) ) cause that would constitute abuse of the pretty good policy. :spoofee:

aerocha said:
Not to mention, RTV's for costco are usually fully refunded by the manufacturer or sold to liquidation companies. So, from costco's stand point there is very little loss involved with accepting returns of these nature.

Ugh, inventory! Counting all that stuff did use to suck pretty badly.

Did you guys at least get a catered meal? The bakery manager at my old store would cook up a big meal for the crew which many times included Tri-tip, potatoes, salad, soda, water, followed by cake! Thanks Andre!

Had inventory last night, and they served a catered meal of rigatoni, ziti, meatballs, lemon chicken, sausage and peppers, 12 foot heros, rolls, bagel chips, salads, rugelahs, cake, soda, and coffee. My counting wasn't bad at all, only the optical dept.

witica said:
i've heard from friends who used to work at costo about people who "abuse" the system. there was a person who returned a half eaten cake, people who return used batteries, and some other weird things that people do...

although i can't complain too much since many of my friends use the 6 month policy on their laptops so they'll never be obsolete.

We own a carvel store and we see people like that all the time. You'd think that because it's an ice cream store people won't be returning stuff all the time, but they always come back into the store with an empty cone saying "Your ice cream is too soft, it fell once i walked out the door." Then we'd give them another one in a CUP.
Another customer came back with a half eaten cake, they said it's not fresh and that they could taste the "refrigerator taste." I mean, WTF?! Does it take them half a cake to tell that it tastes funny? And we were so sure that the cake wasn't old because our cakes sell like crazy and we'd rotate them so that they won't get old. We still gave those people back their money but only after a long debate. Can't believe how many immoral people there are.

Hey Guys,

I've been a Costco Executive Business Member for some time now and was just recently told by the clerk at my Costco that they offer Merchant Services (Credit Card Processing) for businesses.

I signed up my business and was set up in about a week.

I did my research and Costco Has The Lowest Rates that I have seen. I saved about $100/mo with them versus my previous processor. I bought a really nice New Terminal and they even set us up with Electronic Check Processing and a Gift Card program.

We'll probably start doing online business as well and they handle that too.

So if any of you has a business, you should really check 'em out.

There was a different phone number at the Costco website, but the Direct ph# to the company they contract with for Credit Card processing is 1-800-336-2621. I believe you press Option 5 to get to the Sales Department.

I'd refer you to my rep, but I understand he has been promoted, but all the folks I spoke to were very professional.

I'd really recommend it, as I am doing great on my new service with Costco.

Hope this is helpful. :bigok:

niac7 said:
Hey Guys,

I've been a Costco Executive Business Member for some time now and was just recently told by the clerk at my Costco that they offer Merchant Services (Credit Card Processing) for businesses.

I signed up my business and was set up in about a week.

I did my research and Costco Has The Lowest Rates that I have seen. I saved about $100/mo with them versus my previous processor. I bought a really nice New Terminal and they even set us up with Electronic Check Processing and a Gift Card program.

We'll probably start doing online business as well and they handle that too.

So if any of you has a business, you should really check 'em out.

There was a different phone number at the Costco website, but the Direct ph# to the company they contract with for Credit Card processing is 1-800-336-2621. I believe you press Option 5 to get to the Sales Department.

I'd refer you to my rep, but I understand he has been promoted, but all the folks I spoke to were very professional.

I'd really recommend it, as I am doing great on my new service with Costco.

Hope this is helpful. :bigok:

i love costco (they all know me by name there :p) but i'd have to disagree. my father had been using their cc processing and just switched because they raised their rates dramatically. through his bank, he has a better rate, and they deposit the money immediately into his account.

You can be sure they know exactly how much returns cost
them and if it gets abused enough they WILL change the policy.

After all is said and done at the end of the day their main objective is to enhance shareholder value.

At the moment Costco Corporate issued a memo that states all stores are to take down Membership Numbers of all people who have a high history of 'questionable' returns. I guess they are going to spank these people soon.

I have been a business member of Costco for years and even when they started out (about 20 yrs ago) and were extreemly picky about membership (Credit Unions and a few choice (their choice) companies. They have a formula for how many products they keep on the floor. If a new one comes in an old one goes out. It seems to work pretty well for them. I buy weekly from them and restaurant cash-and-carries. Their prices are competative but not all are the best. You have to be a wise shopper no matter where you if you want to get the best prices. I'm pretty sure that whatever policies they have are tried and true and "it works for them".
Costco does have a nice arrangement with American Express and their Business Membership (which costs $100.00 per year) where you get back 1% (maybe 2%? - I don't recall) on purchases up to $500.00 back. I make it quickly and that pays for the membership plus some but realize I spend an average or $500.00 a week. They know I'm doing this. They are pretty smart. I operate a small cafe with little storage room so Costcos variety packaging works well for me.
As far a electronics go I find that their products are middle end (sic) and are below most of the same but personally I usually am happy with lower end and spending less.
And I'm a banana returner - kept a few bunches for a full week and they never ripened. That was one time out of a couple hundred bunches, go figure. It was more the principle than the money - bananas are probabaly the best food value on the planet.

jdurbin said:
I have mixed emotions about Costco. Their prices simply aren't that compelling on most items, partly because they pay their employees relatively high wages and benefits. I have an expired membership card in my wallet as a result.

I am one of those people who believe there are some jobs that simply cannot be expected to pay liveable wages with benefits and retail slave is one of them. Management yeah but not cashiers, etc. There are checkout people in L.A. grocery stores that get $50 per hour working on Sundays and they have better health insurance than I do. That's why they are battling Wal-Mart. They don't want the competition.

On the other hand, I don't abuse the privilege by abusing the return policy.

I know we all like low prices thats why we go to spoofee.com everyday but after taking a class on work labor and social justice I feel sad when the low wage workers sacrifice their wages so that others can have inexpensive things to buy. So i think we should be thankful that Costco even has a great return policy but also be greatful they keep their high employee standards

lloobiell said:
I know we all like low prices thats why we go to spoofee.com everyday but after taking a class on work labor and social justice I feel sad when the low wage workers sacrifice their wages so that others can have inexpensive things to buy. So i think we should be thankful that Costco even has a great return policy but also be greatful they keep their high employee standards
When we take classes taught by Marxist redistributive *ssh*les it is incumbent on ourselves to take into account their Leftist biases and discount their arguments as a result. Any class on "work labor and social justice" is by definition going to biased.

Consider this. With the exception of slave labor in places like China, people are free to take a job or not take a job. No one is holding a gun at their head and making them work for those wages. Capitalism creates jobs and jobs create wealth.

Seems I heard somewhere that the United States is the largest creator and user of sweatshops in the entire world. This is IN the U.S. Granted this is not the majority and what you say is true otherwise but you need to include "withe the exception of slave labor in places like China" and the United States. There are people battling this scourge daily but intill the war against it is won the battles must continue.

jdurbin said:
Capitalism creates jobs and jobs create wealth.

and what's good for Milo Minderbinder is good for the U.S.A. :bigok: :bigok: :bigok: (who cares that the cotton candy is actually cotton)

jdurbin said:
When we take classes taught by Marxist redistributive *ssh*les it is incumbent on ourselves to take into account their Leftist biases and discount their arguments as a result. Any class on "work labor and social justice" is by definition going to biased.

Consider this. With the exception of slave labor in places like China, people are free to take a job or not take a job. No one is holding a gun at their head and making them work for those wages. Capitalism creates jobs and jobs create wealth.
:claps: :claps: :claps: :claps: :claps: :claps: :claps: :bigok:

Gabriel

The selection of Plasmas at costco in the 50" zone is pathetic and sub par. They carry a troublesome Philips brand and a Toshiba thats made in Singapore or something. Their Online selection is better but features outdated HDTV monitors (aka TV's with no HDTV tune built in). I wish they would get it together and offer Samsungs and Panasonic brand late model TVs with built in HDTV and bells and whistles to be on par with the other electronic stores that have the hot items that I would consider buying.

it's changing...

the past few months (maybe a year) i haven't had the luck i have had in the past with returning things at costco... a couple months ago i tried to return my dvd player/surround that completely died after 2.5 years, and they told me that it was time to "take ownership of it" and wouldn't give me a refund... :confused: they said the same about a memory card i tried to return after 1 year... i had no use for it since i just returned the camera it was purchased for!! :mad: yes, they had no problem taking the camera back, but wouldn't take the memory card back. they're getting kind of anal about returns... :thumbs_do

fourdee said:
a couple months ago i tried to return my dvd player/surround ... after 2.5 years, and they ... wouldn't give me a refund... :confused: they said the same about a memory card i tried to return after 1 year... :mad: they're getting kind of anal about returns... :thumbs_do

Excuse me. You used the dvd player for over two years until you broke it, and you used the memory card for a year, yet you are calling Costco anal?
If you want to rent things, perhaps you should try your local rent-a-center.

fourdee said:
the past few months (maybe a year) i haven't had the luck i have had in the past with returning things at costco... a couple months ago i tried to return my dvd player/surround that completely died after 2.5 years, and they told me that it was time to "take ownership of it" and wouldn't give me a refund... :confused: they said the same about a memory card i tried to return after 1 year... i had no use for it since i just returned the camera it was purchased for!! :mad: yes, they had no problem taking the camera back, but wouldn't take the memory card back. they're getting kind of anal about returns... :thumbs_do
It appears you made it on their list of serial returners.

JerryP said:
Seems I heard somewhere that the United States is the largest creator and user of sweatshops in the entire world. This is IN the U.S. Granted this is not the majority and what you say is true otherwise but you need to include "withe the exception of slave labor in places like China" and the United States. There are people battling this scourge daily but intill the war against it is won the battles must continue.
I'm sure you heard it from a union source.

Answer this question. The unions have invested millions of dollars and tens of thousands of man hours trying to unionize Wal-Mart yet Herb Kohl, the Democratic Senator from Wisconsin, made his millions from Kohl's and Mark Dayton, the Democratic Senator from Minnesota, made his millions from Target. If the unions really care about the welfare of retail employees why don't they just take Herb and Mark out to lunch and say, "Herb and Mark, you guys are true-blue pro-labor Democrats. Why don't you let us unionize your stores voluntarily?" No investment of millions of dollars and tens of thousands of man hours required! Just a quick $50 lunch and there you go.

I'll answer my own question. The unions go after Wal-Mart and ignore Target and Kohl's because Mark and Herb are their pro-union buddies in the Senate. You scratch my back and I scratch your back.

Wal-Mart has lower pre-tax and after-tax margins than Target and Kohl's but they make their money on volume. If anyone can afford to pay their employees more it is Target and Kohl's.

I return to my original point made above. This is a free society. If you don't like the wage then don't take the job. In fact, create your own company and job. Period. End of story.

That's why I have never been able to deal with the Left because they are the party of victimization. Women are the victims of men; blacks are the victims of whites; workers are the victims of employers and overseas competition and profit-seeking shareholders, etc. etc. etc. I have too much pride to be anyone's victim.

MITpianoman said:
has anyone had any success on returns without the original packaging? I threw out the box for a set of pans that have worn out.

you should be ashamed to even ask, it's one thing to save money, but to return something u have worn out? C'mon, buy a new set!

Back