(Expired) Costco - The Secret of Return Policy

Where's the heart and soul of this site? On ripping off stores?

The focus of this site shouldn't be on how to rip off a store, or how to maximize your personal return on some kind of policy that is there for a different reason. The focus on the site should be on getting good deals, not on fraud, ripoffs, pushing returns beyond the limit, etc.

Sometimes you've got to wonder where the "heart" and "soul" of the Spoofee pages are.

DGJ

Yeah, but they don't just do it at costco, they do it at other stores too. Like Walmart, Target, etc.

morriefisher said:
Yeah, but they don't just do it at costco, they do it at other stores too. Like Walmart, Target, etc.

In this case I agree. If this were how to take advantage of Walmart, for instance, I wouldn't mind. But Costco is one of the last really great places to shop, and I'd hate to see that change. I've used their return policy many times, but only for legitimate returns within a reasonable amount of time. I'm not so concerned about the 30 days, but returning something well-used several months later just isn't appropriate.

In wish I'd have known about this 9 months ago. We bought a really lovely Lane leather club chair last January, that broke down badly after about 90 days. The left side sort of 'fell' a few inches and the recliner part gouged the crap out of our wood floor We are both really bummed because after spending 500.00 on it last year, we are looking at having to buy another chair this year.
I definitely have reservations about returning a chair after a year though. I'd feel pretty sheepish.

aerocha said:
(snip)

I remember a number of occasion when I would see people returning dead rose bushes after 3 months that mysteriously didn't florish in their yards.

(snip)

...And about the pay rate, I believe in California, topped out cashiers make just under $20 an hour and time and a half on Sundays. I can attest, the bennies are real good too at least they were years ago when I worked there.

Anyway, my point is, the return policy is very liberal.

Many garden centers / home stores / landscape places will take back plants within some reasonable time if they fail to thrive. At home depot, I think that the warranty period is indefinite; I bought a couple of myrtle trees last summer from a reputable local store and they carry a full year warranty.

Costco, on the other hand, is unlimited in its warranty period, which is great. I will sometimes buy things from them that I would not buy elsewhere because the failure rate tends to be high (e.g., a pressure washer). I've only needed to use the policy once, on a vacuum cleaner that lost suction. It was an expensive piece of equipment, and they took it back, no questions. It made me feel very good indeed about shopping there. I detest people who abuse policies like this and dearly hope that Costco does flag abusers for that reason.

The salary paid to Costco employees is another thing that makes me feel good about shopping there. I will NOT patronize Sam's Club or Walmart because I don't care for the way they compensate and generally treat their employees. An article from a month or so ago in the New York Times noted that the average salary at Costco was 42% higher than at Sam's Club.

If the prices are roughly similar, that money has to be going somewhere, and it would appear to be lining the pockets of the Walton family. No, thank you. I'd rather set fire to my money.

Seems like they would keep track of the returns by cross referencing it with the account of the customer whose card was scanned at checkout when the item was purchased, and the people who abuse the policy either have their accounts forfeited or arent eligible for a renewal on their account.

I dont have a local costco, so maybe they do maybe they dont, but they certainly could, and should.

Spoofee said:
It costs a membership fee ($40/year) to shop at Costco, but they offer an awesome return policy.

The return policy at Costco is 100% with or without a receipt as long as you have the same membership. The only exception is computers which must be returned within 6 months of purchase.

For example, say you buy a HDTV today and it stops working 3 years from now, Costco will take the return. In some extreme cases, we have seen people return diapers and bananas.

Note : We don't recommend purchasing with the intention to return (or abuse the system), but as for a free extended warranty or if you are really not satisfied with the product.

i hope the diapers weren't used... if someone brought that crap (pardon the pun) to me if i was working there, i would call the police

I'm fairly sure it works that way, at least it did the 12 years I worked there. It's why my membership is free. I purchased the $100 card so that I get 2% back on my yearly expenditures at costco, whichever store I happen to shop at and they track what I buy and total it up at the end of the year and send me a check for 2% of the total.

Unless the cashier keyed in your card number rather than scanned it and fat fingered the digits. In that case it would be credited to someone elses account.

I can also say the the accounts are company wide because we would block the accounts of our friends who worked in other store, as a joke, so that when they got to the register, their account would be flagged and they would have to go to membership.

Ah fond memories.... except for pushing carts in the rain at 9:15 on a Friday night! Thank god for college and university and thanks costco for pay for it!

I have returned many things to Costco and have always had great customer service but here is a warning on another issue.
I had carpet installed through Costco twice. Once for our house we sold, and then when we bought our new house. The first time they did a beautiful job. The second time it was a total nightmare. The designer was new and put the seam right down the middle of the living room. it took six months to get it fixed because we got such the runaround from Customer decorating who Costco contacts out to. After six months of bull**** I finally contacted Costco's district office and they had the installers come out and rip up the carpet to do it right. Costco took care of the problem but be if you have any services done through Costco, who they contracted out to may not have the same customer service. I have a friend who had blinds put in that were too short and they also got the runaround before they were fixed.

This is the stupidest post I have ever seen. Costco is a pretty good company, and product/prices are good. I'd hate to see that change because of people excessivly returning stuff.

Now people are going to abuse their lenient policy, and ruin it for everyone...

O_loung1 said:
joe, that doenst even come close to what i have seen in some clothing departments that are returned.
i used to work for an inventory company during my college days, go on-site stores to count merchandise...

you would be suprised at the number of used clothes people return,
more importantly, the amount of Used Lingerie that were Not Washed.

we hit victoria secret stores and most of the time its "questionable".
there was one store in the middle of downtown that had a whole box of
used underwear that was returned with stains! looking back, that was an
unsafe working condition, even though i had a set of latex gloves. saying it
was disgusting would have been a compliment :(
Ironically, the used panties probably could have been sold to pervs for twice the price as returning them!

Let's see. They have a workout gym for $550 including delivery. I could buy that and then when I either lose weight and get fit OR more likely simply give up I can return the workout gym and admit I am a failure at self-discipline! ;)

Hey I have a serious idea. Every friggin' flip phone I have owned has ended up breaking. The current one is spazzing on me now. As soon as my contract ends I should look at buying one through CostCo and let them get the commission for getting me my carrier. I would happily do that if I had piece of mind that my friggin' phone would get replaced when it inevitably craps out.

My only problem is that the Cingular plans are worse than my existing AT&T Wireless plan. Hopefully, in six months when my plan expires things are more competitive.

I need to keep this in mind though.

jdurbin said:
Ironically, the used panties probably could have been sold to pervs for twice the price as returning them!

Hahaha! in that case, the soiled diapers could be sold for 4 times to paedo!

20/20 did a story on Costco not too long ago interviewing the CEO. This guy is totally not your typical CEO. He doesn't even have a real office and his desk is made up of tables that looked like he got at Costco. After watching the story, it really made me more against those who abuse the company's return policy.

I've seen things returned that looked very OLD and USED, yet people return them because they're not "satisfied." Returning pans used after a YEAR or a TV after 3 YEARS is stepping over the line. Things aren't meant to last forever! If you abuse the product or use it everyday, of course it will wear down and technology gets outdated. It's the reality of things.

Sometimes we do end up making a poor purchase decision and find ourselves in the return line. But be considerate or policies will change and the fun will be ruined for everyone.

Does costco have good plasma TVs?? If there policy is so good then it might be wise to buy from them. Wonder if your required to save the box to make a return. Also what if they no longer carry that item will you still get exactly what you paid back?

I wish we had Costco in Wisconsin - all we have is Sam's club. I just got a new membership there today. Prices are okay, but I'm not sure it's worth the $40 membership fee. Costco sounds better.

You guys, PLEASE RELAX.
it's not that big of a deal.
Yes, it is wrong to ABUSE the system (as i am guilty on 2 counts), but Costco obviously knows this is going on; otherwise they would change the policy.
Take it as a gift for your $40 (or $100) and stop blaming Spoofee.
He was not the founder of Costco, nor is he encouraging exploitation of the company.
He even discourages it on the front page.
I don't believe it should be that big of an issue.
It has only appeared on this site twice, and I ask for those who are angry, PLEASE go look at other forums and you will see why this is the best website.
Thanks for your time :D
Those were Rockstar's thoughts :tongue:

Rockstar is correct in everything he's said above. Sure, even Costco employees resent refunding certain items, but during the store managers speech prior to inventory, the employees are reminded that returns are only a small part of Costco's sales. The money is made from membership fees. This thread will not cause more returns, everyone knows about Costco's return policy already.

Tarkus7 said:
Rockstar is correct in everything he's said above. Sure, even Costco employees resent refunding certain items, but during the store managers speech prior to inventory, the employees are reminded that returns are only a small part of Costco's sales. The money is made from membership fees. This thread will not cause more returns, everyone knows about Costco's return policy already.
Not to mention, RTV's for costco are usually fully refunded by the manufacturer or sold to liquidation companies. So, from costco's stand point there is very little loss involved with accepting returns of these nature.

Ugh, inventory! Counting all that stuff did use to suck pretty badly.

Did you guys at least get a catered meal? The bakery manager at my old store would cook up a big meal for the crew which many times included Tri-tip, potatoes, salad, soda, water, followed by cake! Thanks Andre!

Back